Monday, May 16, 2011

Jane Green's Jemima J

As stated before I am a big reader. I love all kinds of books. I know that I should say that I love literary high brow novels, but I don't. Never have, probably never will. That said the books that I do like are well written and usually have a romance involved. I will be reviewing a few new books over the next few weeks, but for today I am going to talk about an old favorite.

Chick Lit was relatively new when I discovered Jane Green's Jemima J.It was by far one of the best books I've ever read. Jemima was a fat girl who was desperate for the life and love that's been promised to us almost from birth. We are sold on Prince Charming as little girls and often settle for a frog or two (or twenty) when the dream fades. In fact Jemima's story is very much in the vein of Cinderella, even down to the two ugly stepsisters (her flat mates), a fairy godmother (Geraldine) and lets not forget our Prince Ben (yum!).

Jemima wants to work for a glossy magazine instead of a local paper. She wants to be rid of her flat mates, she wants a mother who doesn't harp about her weight. Most of all though, she wants to be thin. Jemima links her happiness with being thin. She's drank the kool aid that thin people are happy. When she discover the internet and the hot Brad, Jemima sells herself as the woman she wants to be. She didn't plan on meeting Brad. It was harmless, right?

The relationship with Brad grows as Jemima begins her transformation. She starts working out and eating right and the weight begins to come off. Jemima is aware of her weight loss but like with many of us big girls who lose weight, once a fat girl always a fat girl. You have to change your mindset. If you don't change your thinking you will never change your life.

Jemima, with the help of Geraldine, makes a big splash when she visits Brad in L.A. He is everything he said he was. Tall, blond, handsome and owner of fitness gym. Jemima is willing to overlook the fact that he's not an intellectual because he looks like a god and is great in bed. It takes some time for her to realize that maybe the relationship is not working as she had hoped. Brad spends little time with her and his assistant hates Jemima. She's living with a man she barely knows in a strange country with no friends. She thinks of home and misses Ben.

Ben had been her crush. The two had been work friends until Ben went of in search of greener pastures and a career as a presenter. Ben is a great character and it's easy to see why Jemima fell so hard for him. I admit that I fell for him a bit myself. These two characters grow so much throughout the book that you are rooting for them to find each other.

I don't want to give too much away, but there is a BIG secret about Brad that Jemima accidentally uncovers and sets her on a path of self discovery and into Ben's arms. I highly suggest this enjoyable read to anyone who has ever doubted themselves and is a big romantic (pun intended).

No comments:

Post a Comment